I had big plans for March. I had a complete calendar of content, including a lot of fun things for St. Patrick’s Day and the start of Spring. Then, we all know what happened–COVID19. It’s been several weeks now and I feel like we are maybe, just maybe getting our bearings again. Today, we had some guys over to help with landscaping and I found out that it was one of their birthdays. I already had everything to make these cupcakes and this was the push I needed to finally make these sweet treats. We had something to celebrate! And, since we wanted to spread a little more sunshine (and get out of the house for the first time in days), we decided to drop some cupcakes off to some friends and family.
The good thing about this recipe is that it’s not only festive on St. Patty’s but delicious all year round! I used the gold food spray and sprinkles as well as the rainbow airheads I had special-ordered (oh my plans, my plans!) because rainbows with pots of gold are also welcomed all year round. Since we’re a week from Easter, I added some of those themed sprinkles and, honestly, it all looked good together. So, if you have some Guinness in the frig or can Instacart some, try out this recipe! I can attest to the fact that they ease the stress of confinement/quarantine pretty well!
Stay safe and healthy friends!
Guinness Cupcakes with Guinness Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Guinness Extra Stout regular Guinness works just fine
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter you can use salted and just not use the salt listed below if you'd like
- ¾ cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ TBLS baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt skip the salt if using salted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cups sour cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2½ cups sifted powder sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ whole, scraped vanilla bean can be skipped
- ½ TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 cup Guinness Extra Stout regular is fine
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Bring stout and butter to simmer in a large saucepan, stirring often. DO NOT boil it.
- Add unsweetened chocolate chips to hot stout/butter mixture. Whisk until chocolate is melted and combined.
- Add sugar to chocolate mixture and whisk to combine until melted/combined.
- Place mixture into a stand mixer or a bowl if using a hand mixer. Add whisk attachment.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In your mixer/bowl, mix eggs and sour cream on medium speed until combined.
- Add the chocolate/stout mixture on medium/low speed until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until all combined, making sure to scrape and incorporate from the sides.
- Place in your cupcake holders and fill to about 2/3 full.
Guinness Buttercream Frosting
- In a saucepan, simmer Guinness on low for 10-15 minutes until it reduces down to a syrup-type liquid. Watch carefully and do not over cook.
- In a separate bowl, cream your butter for 1 minute.
- Slowly add powdered sugar in thirds, alternating with the milk. a little each time.
- Add your vanilla.
- Slowly add the reduced Guinness a little at a time, tasting to find preference.